Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He has been loosing fur on his area. My husband just noticed

Customer Question

He has been loosing fur on his butt area. My husband just noticed today that there weee several maggots coming out of his buthole. I've seen little tiny mats which are flies around lately. I told my husband to change the cat litter everyday or at least use the pooper scooper the 2nd Day. Then change litter at least every other day. He complained cat litter is too expensive. I told him I'm the one purchasing litter since I am a nurse and i make the
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Well his name is***** there is also RonRon, Crystal, Memow, Presto, & Buttercup.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Not really. Except that DAddy's boy & likes to show affection to my husband.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If your cat has any open wounds or areas of skin infection round the anal area then what you could be seeing is maggots { fly larvae }, but they would not normally be seen emerging from his anus, treatment would involve physically removing any maggots and eggs stuck to the fur and then treating any open wounds or obvious skin conditions which would be visible, antibiotics may well be needed. If there are no open wounds then what you may be seeing is a tapeworm segment, you can usually see them round the cat's rectal area, they are about the size of a grain of rice and you can often see them slowly move. These are not uncommon, look quite like maggots and will be seen emerging from the anus.

2. If the above is what is going on { Tapeworms } then this is no cause for concern, this can be treated with simple oral medication which your vet can supply or over the counter medication from a good pet store. Try something like Tradewinds which is now an over the counter product and is the same as Droncit which before you could only get from the vet, it contains Praziquantel. I have prescribed loads of Droncit over the last twenty eight years and found it to be safe and effective. Tape worm treatment will be different from regular round worm treatment which you can also pick up at your vet or pet store.

3. Also make sure your cat is free from fleas as they can be part of the tape worm life cycle. It would be good practice to worm your all your cats regularly against both tape and round worms.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rated is high quality advice. Thank you for your expertise.

Thanks very much for the kind comments, please be kind enough to also rate me via the site rating system.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott