Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I believe my cat swallowed my mom's blood pressure medicine.

Customer Question

I believe my cat swallowed my mom's blood pressure medicine. He weighs about 17 pounds and the medicine is 20-12 mugs. My mother has dementia and doesn't recall if she took it. If he did swallow it, it occurred about 5 minutes ago. He seems fine but I'm concerned.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your mom's cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your mom's cat?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you clarify "20-12 mugs" please? I need either the brand name or generic drug name(s) in that blood pressure medication.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lisinpril and the bottle says 20-12.

Thank you. At doses under 9 mg per pound of body weight of lisinopril only transient gastrointestinal signs - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea might be seen. I believe 20-12.5 refers to 20 mg lisinopril and 12.5 mg of the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide which can be dosed to cats at up to 1 mg per pound of body weight (17 mg for your cat). In summary, your cat should remain well. You might see increased urine production from the diuretic. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I'll watch him closely.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.