PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He had a stroke and can't eat solids. Need ideas on what to

He had a stroke and can't eat solids. Need ideas on what to feed him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 21 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gobby?
Customer: No he is walking a bit to the side but is still mobile and using his litter box

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time? Can you tell me more about what symptoms you're seeing and how I can best assist you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to know what would be the most nourishing to why feed him so he doesn't loose weight. I have been giving him cream soup mixed with chicken broth and baby formula. His is urinating and has had bowel movements. He cannot eat solid food and unable to clean himself. We noticed he started walking with his back end dragging with tail to the side and couldn't eat his canned food about a week ago. He is old but he is still purring and doesn't seem to be in pain.

Is he still able to place his feet and walk forward with a side-to-side swagger or is the entire back end dragging?

Are there any foods that he does not tolerate well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is able to walk forward and seems to be actually ambulating a little better. He is kind of a beggar and likes people food. We were giving him soft pâté canned cat food before this set in but can't eat that either now.

You're probably going to need to begin blending the food up with additional fluid or using an immersion blender.

Be cautious about giving any cow's milk products as this can cause diarrhea. You can use kitten milk, but avoid any formulas meant for human children unless directed otherwise by your vet. Profuse diarrhea may ensue.

1) Try using the safe pate style canned cat food with low sodium beef or chicken broth, blend well and serve as a liquid.
2) Use KMR to add calories and soften/blend up foods.
3) Try pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.
4) Ask your vet about Hill's A/D which is typically used as a recovery diet and is high in calories.
5) Consider making fresh kitten glop to add calories, as well: http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

If he has not already been examined and treated by your vet, I would recommend it. There may be a great deal of medical concerns leading to his declining health including periodontal disease which can be addressed medically and give him back the ability to at least eat soft canned foods.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Gobby?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is doing much better...thank you