PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an older larger cat and I just noticed a freely

I have an older larger cat and I just noticed a freely movable lump on her back. It doesn't seem to bother her at all and it's soft. She let me touch it and move it around. It's kind of squishy. She's eating and drinking normally and acting like herself. Is there a possibility that this could be something benign? She's my baby! I love her to the moon and back. She does have a lot of adipose tissue:)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Carrot?
Customer: She's eating and drinking normally with normal behavior. She is obese even though I try to keep her on a diet. Lump is soft, squishy, easy to manipulate, and freely movable

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she inside only or outside, too?
2) How long did it take for this area to develop?
3) Any other animals in the home, particularly cats?
4) Any hair loss or oozing from the area?
5) Can you share pictures of the area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is indoors only. It took several weeks to a month to develop. I did just change her food from all dry to a little dry with mostly wet and now that I think about it, the lump appeared in that time frame and my cat food is the Blue food which is very high protein. No other animals. No hair loss or oozing. The lump is subcutaneous

Thanks for the additional information.

Can you share pictures of the area?

When were her last vaccines performed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has been over a year since her last vaccines. She is very large so photos wouldn't be too helpful:) could this be a deposit related to a change in her food?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because it's literally been there exactly since I changed from dry to wet

I do not believe this is food related. Can you tell me where on the back it's located? I'll be happy to answer your questions, but need more information to be able to best assist you first.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the middle of her back below her shoulder blades. I'm going to take her to the vet, I'm just really freaking out right now bc I love her so much. Is there a possibility that this could be benign? Like a lipoma?

There's potential for this to be benign. You're making the right decision in taking her to the vet. This area is commonly used for vaccines and tumors can develop there. As well, as can see abscesses but these tend to be faster growing and usually happen in the presence of other cats due to scratches or bites. I think your best bet is going to be an examination and talking to your vet about a fine needle aspirate or surgical removal to determine what type of growth this is. Dogs tend to acquire fatty tumors (lipomas) more than cats, but the potential does exist for this to be precisely what you're seeing. If so, your vet should be able to determine this on examination and with a fine needle aspiration and cytology.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you

Sure thing. I hope all goes well. Good luck!