Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 14 year old was diagnosed with diabetes. Researching.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Riley.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: My focus is non prescription food. W
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Riley was diagnosed with diabetes. I, myself, had a diabetic boy, several years ago.

A diabetic cat's diet should be high in protein and low in carbohydrates. Also, it is beneficial for Riley to eat a wet food diet, rather than dry. He can graze on a small, measured amount of dry food, but the major portion of his diet should be wet/canned. Stay away from foods that are more than 10% carbohydrate. Read labels, so you're familiar with the ingredient panel and percentages of carbs and other nutrients. Also, stay away from canned food with gravy--this provides non-nutritional calories for Riley. Canned Fancy Feast and Friskies Classic Patés are usually good for diabetic cats. Other foods you can buy in pet supply stores and are grain-free (the best type) are Wellness, Wellness CORE, EVO and Felidae.

The following site is written by a feline veterinarian and gives detailed advice on how best to feed a diabetic cat:

http://catinfo.org/feline-diabetes/

-------------

I hope this helps and all will be well with Riley!

Please feel free to ask any other related questions and I will be online for about another hour.

Please take a moment to rate with positive feedback (5 **Stars** is the best).

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and Riley. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Cher