Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a cat that was dropped at my house and I am trying to

care for it. The...
I have a cat that was dropped at my house and I am trying to care for it. The problem is she won't dig a hole to poop she goes on the table where she is eating or on the floor not outside in the dirt like my other cats. I find this hard to deal with. Is there a solution?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Callie and I suspect less than a year old.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Callie and I suspect less than a year old. I am wondering if this may be the reason she was dropped off at my house.
JA: Anything else you want Dr. Bruce (Small Animal Veterinarian with 15 years experience) to know about the cat before I connect you?
Customer: Just that she poops on the table where she is eating or anywhere on the garage floor but will not go to the yard and dig and bury.
8/14/2017
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello again, Mark.

First, bless you for taking Callie in! You saved a precious feline life!

I can fully understand your frustration with Callie's bathroom behavior.

Do you have a litterbox or several boxes, in your house?

Are all your other cats outdoor, only or indoor/outdoor and are used to eliminating outside?

If Callie had been an indoor-only cat and/or never eliminated outside, she doesn't know what to do, so you will have to show her. On the other hand, if she's never used a litterbox, she'll have to be taught how to do that, too. Just put her in the litterbox and/or outside (if that's where you want her to go) after she finishes eating or within about 10 minutes, gently take her front paw and scratch at the litter or soil, outside and see if she's ready to go. I encourage you to constantly keep the litterbox clean, but if you leave a 'deposit' from one of your other cats (if they go inside), or, her stool, from the table or garage floor, she will smell this and know that is the correct place to eliminate.

Continue doing this, until she understands she needs to use the litterbox or soil, outside.

It would also be a good idea to have her evaluated by a vet, in person, and have a fresh fecal sample tested. A complete blood test and urinalysis/culture would also be advisable, since you don't know where she came from and want to know that she is in good health. Also, find out if she is spayed and if she has been microchipped or has a tattoo, so her former owners can be located, if she has this identification.

She may have a problem with elimination, that the vet will find and treat, like intestinal parasites, for example.

Clean the areas she soils, with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Urine Off and many others, found in your local pet supply store. You might put plastic (inexpensive) placemats covered with strips of double sided, sticky tape on the table (keep them in place with double sided tape and you can easily remove them when you need to use the table. Cats don't like the feeling of 'sticky' under their paws. Perhaps try feeding her someplace else, unless there's a specific reason why you feed her on the table, like you don't want the other cats to bother her.

You can also get some Feliway, a cat synthetic pheromone, which comes in a spray and plug-in diffuser. It is very helpful in dealing with inappropriate elimination and it is also a stress reliever; she must be feeling stressed, now that she's in a new home with other cats she doesn't know. You can also lightly spray areas of the garage floor, but don't allow her access until it's completely dry--about 30 minutes. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/us

-----------

I hope you found this helpful and Callie will start eliminating in an appropriate place.

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Thank you very much, Mark, for your great rating; it is highly appreciated!

I hope all progresses well, with Callie!

Hi Mark,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist