Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is about 2 years old. All of a sudden she has decided…

Hey, my cat...

Hey, my cat is about 2 years old. All of a sudden she has decided all my food sux and will only drink cat milk and water. I can tell she wants to eat but as soon as she tastes it, she backs away. I also have five other cats (foster), she has never worried about any of this before. Has been going on about 10 days. Have tried cat food, human food and just sniffs it, tastes ot with her tongue amd then backs away. Arghghhhh!

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/14/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you had an examination performed yet to determine if she has any periodontal pain that may be keeping her from wanting to eat?

Have soft or watery foods been tried thus far, aside from the kitten milk?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have tried wet food. No vomiting or diarrhea.

No

This would be the next step I would take if you're unable to get her to eat. Here are my concerns: When cats begin not eating their liver suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 We may never know the original cause leading up to this, only that the symptom of not eating is extremely risky for cats and simply monitoring at home following the third day is typically even more risky. I would schedule some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of not eating. We can see medical concerns like liver disease, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to not eating in any age of cat.

If she's willing to drink cat milk, encourage her to do so as this will keep up her caloric intake. I would also try pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. You might also want to try a gravy lovers variety of cat food to see if she will ingest this. Quite often when cats will eat liquid foods but not canned or kibble they're suffering from pain in the mouth. That said, there's no way to be absolutely certain an underlying condition, such as those mentioned above, is not the cause or has not developed with her avoidance of food and, thus, examination and diagnostics are indicated.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
She had 8 teeth removed. Eventually depending how fast her teeth get eaten away she will have no teeth. She's still in a bit of pain but on medication and will be back to normal in a few days

Excellent news! I am glad to hear she's on the mend.