Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

I I, My cat is 10 years old, doing palliative care at home

I I
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: My cat is 10 years old, doing palliative care at home for intestinal lymphoma.
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: But she has beaten the odds. Been 6 months - my concern tonight is that she is having trouble walking . She does not appear to be in any pain, eating and drinking the same.
JA: Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: She just is getting weak I think
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Guess this is hard to watch her. Wobbly back legs.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was bringing her into the vet for laser ice therapy, anti- inflammatory injections and glusotomine injections too. But she is getting to the end stage of her cancer, and they said she is not in pain. It was just causing her more stress going there two times a week for all of the above, and we are doing palliative care. I guess I just want to know what to expect ., she is definitely moving more slowly, up and down stairs . I have a three level condo should I block her off in one room to keep her safer or let her go up and down which she still seems to enjoy!
She is amazing! Only weighs 5.8 pounds! But still interacts . Let's me brush her, gently . But this overall weakness in her back legs - wobbling has me worried she will hurt herself.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I guess everything is slowing down . Sleeps more, eating and drinking but very little. So she appears weak, but still looks for me.
Guess it's a waiting game. I just want to be sure she is not in pain . And I cannot judge that 100% .. they hide so much of their pain,

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has your vet discussed sending you home with any pain medication to see if this might help her symptoms and give you confidence she's not in pain (and if she is that it's being treated)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No when I was bringing her in they felt her spine and back legs. They felt she probably did try to make a leap and got injured. They could not be 100 % sure . So they did the ice therapy - anti inflammatory injections and 4 injections of:
Adequan - this was two times a week - my concern was did her cancer spread to the bones? But they thought probably not since it's a lymphoma- but she is so tough - they gave her 2 months - we treated the lymphoma with prednisone for about 4 months - twice a day- she has had UTI's two or three - in between- got over those.
But two months ago they too an X-ray- small growth in her belly said to take her home. Just enjoy her .. not to keep stressing her out back and forth to vet.
So I thought I had two weeks? It's been over 2 months she has been home with doing 'palliative' care. No throwing up. No more diarrhea ! Eating - drinking - interacting etc.. until this back leg wobbly thing came up!
Go figure! She was having bloody diarrrhea, vomiting, not eating , dehydrated during the prednisone times. So I am ever grateful and blessed for this time with her.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok that is fine can is she able to answer what I wrote?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?? Is anyone available to continue this conversation? I happen to be off today and if she is not available can I get someone else?

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech tech for 35+ years. It seems your Expert could not respond. I have looked over the information and want to give you some information on hind end weakness. Low potassium levels can cause hind end weakness, Neuropathy is a possibility, but is usually caused by diabetes, it can result from an injury to body tissues or a growth in the spinal cord and lastly a blood Clot which unfortunately is the worst and scariest reason for hind leg weakness. I would let the Vet know about this Hind leg weakness as in this case they may want to see her or give medication. Hind leg weakness in cats is always worrisome.

I will be off line for a few hours, but will check back for any responses and quastions you may have. PLease look over the information and I will be back to assist you.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Joan,
Thank you so much for your quick response to me. Very helpful. So I guess that she may need a blood test to determine low potassium levels? And would an X-ray show a growth?
I am also concerned- I guess because we are in the palliative stage my vet may not have suggested that? But I think it's very good point.,
I want to apologize if I sounded frustrated before, I am .. but mostly afraid I am losing her and it is a very difficult time.
I am also home sick myself :( with a miserable UTI! Lol!'
But no excuse! You guys are great, I am just exhausted . It's been 6 months of trying everything to keep her going, 20 different foods - meds- visits - sometimes two times a week.
But it comes down to one thing. If she is not in pain then I can and willl do anything .
So I suspect you feel she probably is in pain with this?
If it means carrying her up and down stairs I would do it.. but if she is in pain then that's not want I want for her :((
Ok well again,
I hope you can accept my apology.
And I will want to pay you . So please let me know what I owe.
Have a good rest of the day.
And I will wait for your response- I will contact her vet, as you said.
Thank you and Bless you all for the work you do!����������

To be honest, I would get the blood work for a low potassium level, but my greater concer is how fast this came on is a possible clot, and that is why I wanted you to alert your Vet. They may put her on a low dose blood thiner like aspirin. I just want to make sure you have all the time you can with her. She is a fighter and blessed to have you as her human. As far as a spinal tumor and an Xray, I would not put her through that stress. A potassium issue or a possible bloodclot would not stress her out as much as an Xray.

I am paid when you rate my service which is the strars above this box. I am sorry the other Expert did not finish with you and I am also sorry I kept you waiting. I had a small family emergency that I had to deal with. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Just ask for me by name and I am more than happy to assist.

Any questions just hit reply.

Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi again,
Ok Joan thank you again for your expertise! You have been extremely helpful!
And you did not keep me waiting :)
It's all good!
I called the vet and will bring her in - so again- I appreciate your time!
Hope all is well with your family and I will certainly ask for you again!
Take care!
Blessings to you!
Vi

Thank you! Please let me know what your Vet says and I hope is is nothing serious.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok Joan I will let you know.
Thank you ��
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi again Joan,
Appears her loss of back limbs may be neurological- no blood clot- no apparent pain - they did a whole bunch of blood work- took X-ray - no abnormal findings / but her legs are worse today/ the X-ray shows she has mega/ colon - because she cannot support herself to poop:(( they gave her medicine for this and for me twice a day to help with this, but they suggest I get her evaluated by a neurological doctor . I am pending that ... but all in all, it does not sound good:( even though she is amazing- still eating - drinking/ I am at a loss for words . So I guess I will see what the neurologist says?
Just struggling with this .. blood work will be back sometime on Wednesday.. maybe that will show more!
Thank you again for your time and caring spirit
Vi and Katrina

Please keep me updated. If Neurolical, there are treatments, but again I am not sure if that is something you want to put her through, with all going on. I will keep her in my prayers and look forward to an update on what is happening.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you again Joan. I hear you. And my feeling is I may go for the consult, if it helps to clarify any of this, but nothing more. This mega- colon thing is in itself awful and a new development. I had another cat with it. But her situation is too complicated, and with cancer already in the mix:(( I will do what I have to for her quality of life. You know better than I .. as heartbreaking as it is, this is what it comes down to- I just hope to get the same support from my vets on this. My heart has been in a 6 month state of up and downs..and through it all she has been my hero!
She is the last cat I have now... well I have talk your ear off. Goodnight and Bless you!
And I will let you know .
Vi

Thank you! I just want to be sure they do not put her though too much and rob her of her fight and what she still has. I look forward to updates.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well here she is under my arm:) she was crying at the side of my bed. And this is what I knew she wanted. Amazing!
Good night for now Joan and how do I pay you for all of this extra time?
Thank you again, and I understand you completely. Goodnight

You have already paid me. The only thing you can do is leave a bonus, but that is not necessary. I like to help the Pets and the people they own. She is beautiful! Give her some Extra scratches for me.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok ��
You are the best!

I am humbled by the compliment. Please let the site know it you are happy with my service and if I have made a differenece.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Joan ' sorry I could not get back to you. I know you wanted this update. Well now my darling has FIP- stress of lymphoma etc., all brought it on- though she had to have it all along.
Nothing can be done - she is Happy . I have her home with only Cisipride to help her poop. I don't know how long we have? But I know now she is not in any pain- she has neuropathy- so they tell me she will eventually not be able to move .. and that is when it ends.
But thank you again for all of your help.
I hope you got the little extra bonus money I sent.
Please let me know if you did not!
You got me though a very difficult time.. and helped me more than you know:)
Vi and Katrina

Oh, I am so sorry about this news on top of all you have both been thrugh. At least there is no pain and she has you who loves her and will be with you until she can rest peacefully. Please take care of yourself too as this is hard on the caretaker as well as the patient. Thank you for the generous Bonus, you did not have to do that. What I do is a labor of love. I am here if you need me.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Joan:)) you were made for the work you do!
I will be a 'hot mess' but then we all are when we lose our dolls.
I just hope she does not lose her dignity at the end:(( when she can no longer make it to the litter box?
Cats love to be clean?
So am I doing the right thing?
I hope so .. it's my last worry I guess.
Today she came down 15 steps sideways so she could get downstairs to be with me and I could brush her?
Cannot make this stuff up!
And the bonus is nothing!

You will know when it is time. She will let you know. If she can no longer eat, has breathing problems, cannot get to her box,does not enjoy being with you and he quality of life is no longer, she will let you know that is the time, she needs to say a sad goodbye. I am here to talk if you need me. I undersatnd, as I too have been through this in my personal life.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sure you have Joan:))
Thank you again for your kind words..
you have been such a comfort to me.
God Bless you!
Vi and Katrina

You are welcome and I am here is needed. I do ask if you are asked by the site to give me a good review. They like to hear if Our customers had a good experience. Again I am here if you need to talk.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did that - gave you a 10:) if it went higher I would have hit it' lol

Thank you! I like to make a difference.

Joan