Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is a 20 year old male tabby who i just recently

Customer Question
Hi pearl. My cat is...
Hi pearl. My cat is a 20 year old male tabby who i just recently became the caregiver of. He has been in my home for 3months now and i am watching him fro a firend of mine who was sent bak to prison on a technical violation for his parole. My firnd was not the first owner of cat, but instead found him locked in a room of a house with no food or water surrounded by his own feeces and covered in mats of fur. The cat had been left locked in that room after the last person who lived there passed away and the surviving family members took the other pets with them to live but left sweet lil spanky locked that room for 2 years ruffly with no body comming by to care for him in that room of the only home he ever lived in before coming to stay with me recently. It was when my friend moved into that house that was inherited by his moms new husband. That spanky was no longer alone and my friend michael cleaned him up and helped him get the mats out of his fut set him up with a litter box and clean water and food and a heating pad for him to lay on to help his stiff joints and showed him live and compassion and care. Now i was told by my friends mom that spanky has bever been given any shots and he wasnt seen by a vet at all after michale rescued him from the horrible and cruel way he was forgtten and treated for the 2 years. Now as i have been caring for and loving him i have noticed that he occasionally will eat his poop and then gets very sick to his stomach and throws up a liquid frothy white substance afterward. He also has always had a very increased thirst compared to most of the cats ive had and he was at first having trouble getting into his litter box so i made him a lower entranced one with plenty of room so not to bump sides or cause him any pain while using it and he was doing well and seemed happy and healthy (cept when he wud eat his poo) up until about 3 days ago and then he just seemed to take a big turn foe worse health wise he srill urinates wirh force when he goes and drinks like usually did and has same appetite as usual but he seems to be constipated and has been straining to poo with lil to no results especially today. He has also been wobbly and off balance since his health went south and his alertness and ability to remember where his food and water is located has gone down hill greatly too. I have been crying cuz dont know what to do for him and cant afford a vet right now. I love him so much he is the aweetwst and gentlest cat i cud wver meet with thw most gorgeous eyes. They are like nothing ive ever seen before almost like lightening is striking in them in different tones of grey and olive greens. He has always been vocal until lately to and foesnt much want to be shown affection for too long and is very sleepy but he cant seem to find anyway to lay thats remotely comfortable for very long at all. Please can u help me help spanky to feel bettter and return to his old self again before this kills him like it is seeming to.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your tabby?
Customer: About every 3 days orior to this all starting he wud get really dim in his behaviours and wud insist upon sleeeping with his forehead pushing io against a wall for about 24 hours he udnt fo much but rest like that and durring that time his hew or haw (not sure which way its spelled right now) wud be viaible in both eyes for the entire time he was suffering from what seemed like a bad migrane to me and occasionally durring these times he wud throw up the frothy white stuff. This happened every three days from the time i met him bak in january of this year up until about a month ago and then it just stopped and now he has the recent health issues instead. Havent seen him pushibg forehead against anything durring this all so idk if makes a difference or not. My room mate aldo has two elderly cats who have had their shots but poop and pee all over the house and they are stricktly indoor cats but still because of their not using the liter box at all i havent let them near spanky and he is strictly wirh us in our room and foesnt roam the house with other two cats of roommates.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
8/6/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How often is Spanky fed?
2) Is he given free access to food and water or is it measured out?
3) Is Spanky in fit physical condition or is he obese? is he thin?

He has soft food fed to him when he vocalizes that he is hungry or is seen repeatedly going to where food bowl is and sniffing at it and laying down. Not a schedule persay but its not always there for him to eat as he wishes either. When he lived with my firend he had hard food readily available at all times for him to eat. Have had him on a soft food diet since about two weeks after he started to stay with me. He did have some hard food tho recently for about a week just before he started to seem ill. Is same food friend had for him and was firced to give it to him to eat outa necessity due to not havibg any way to get him the soft foid he usualky has. He has 100% free access to water at all times and give him bottled water instead of tap water cuz tap water where i live isnt good to drink at all. He dies drink a lot more than any other cat ive ever cared for but he does express an equal amount if urine for the amount if water he drinks. He is rather skiny and boney but he has gotten a rather large belly in him since staying with me.

Is he given kibble, as well, or just canned foods?

When he was at your friend's house and had full time access to food, did he eat his stool then?

How much water is he consuming per day?

Can you share a few pictures of his body condition?

He usually wont eat hard food now so normally just soft food anymore. I honestly dont know if he ate his own stool or not then i wud like to say yes because we wud find the same frothy white throw up when was still with michael and only time he throws up that stuff is after he eats his own stool as far as i know. Yes let me take a few pix for u and send them are there any specific areas of his body u wud like pix of? And he has been repeatedly straining trying to poo this evening. Just Since i first asked this question he has tried 14 times with no luck at all the last 10 times he didnt bother trying to get to liter box and just stood up where he was at and tried to go. He also has been leaving lil stains of poo all over the pillows he has been trying to rest on.

And as far as his water cinsumptiin goes he has been drinkikng about 3 bottles of water every 24 hour time period on hot days and on not so hot days he dribks anywhere from 2 -21/2 bottles if water a day and has done so the whole time i have had him with me and when with michael he mentioned that spanky drank an excessive amount of water too.

I'd like to see from the shoulders to the hips, if possible. Full body over the top and from the side would be fine.

Are these regular 17oz bottles of water?

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert