Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I found an abscess on my cat yesterday. Cleaned it with

Customer Question
I found an abscess...

I found an abscess on my cat yesterday. Cleaned it with peroxide. Today he can't use his back legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He's an inside outside cat. About 6 years old. He has been acting weird the last 3-4 weeks.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat
8/6/2017
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about your cat not using his back legs. Do you mean that he drags himself around with his front legs, that his back legs can't move at all?

This may or may not be related to the abscess; where on his body is it located? If it is near his spine, it is possible that the infection and swelling of the abscess is affecting his spinal cord, but that would be unusual.

Other reasons for cats not to be able to use the back legs are blood clots/stroke, injury to the spinal cord, and diseases such as FIP, Toxoplasmosis, feline leukemia. Since you mention he has been weird for 3 to 4 weeks, it may be an illness/disease.

How soon can you get him to a veterinarian for examination? Finding the cause, getting a diagnosis, is the way to know the best treatment. The longer he goes without being able to use his back legs, there may be less chance of a recovery.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.

I have not heard back from you; how is he doing today? Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?