PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My kitten (3 1/2 months) ate a crumpled piece (about 4

Customer Question

My kitten (3 1/2 months) ate a crumpled piece (about 4 inches ) of plumbers tape on Saturday morning. I do not see it in her litter box. She is eating fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Avi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Avi?
Customer: She seems normal in every way. Very spunky and kitten like.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did you witness the consumption of the tape?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She was chewing on something and the only this it could have been was the balled up piece of tape. No vomiting or diarrhea.

Excellent. Typically it takes as long as 3-5 days for a foreign body to pass (assuming it does not become a blockage). I would keep a close eye for GI signs such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, avoiding food and water, lethargy, etc. It would not hurt to add pure canned pumpkin to canned cat food and feed this for the next week to help move any tape through the intestines. If, by chance, you see any protruding from the rectum NEVER pull. Always trim close to the anus and allow the body to expel it naturally.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Avi?