Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We found a cat that looks like it had been dumped by the…

Customer Question
We found a cat...

We found a cat that looks like it had been dumped by the highway. She is definitely starving. So we brought her home Friday and cleaned her up and started with cat formula. Did feedings every 2-4 hours. She pooped and pead twice in the first 24 hours. Then we switched to wet food. And still every few hours feeding her. She's not interested in water but is still using the bathroom. She can stand and walk but her legs kind of flail around.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

I'm not sure if she fell at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

We found her so I'm not sure. She's around 8 months I'd say.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Like I said we found her. So I don't know her name.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

I'm honestly just curious if the walking and standing should improve and are just caused by starvation.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
7/30/2017
Cat Vet: CVT_in_MN, CVT replied 8 months ago
CVT_in_MN

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I've been with this company since 2008. I'll be happy to help you with your question today.

Can you tell if her eyes are normal?

Does she seem to have any sort of coordination problems?

Does she seem to be perking up at all?

Her eyes are normal other than I'm constantly wiping drainage in the corners.She walks but not like a normal cat. Nothing seems broken it seems she's just so weak 1. She doesn't go far and 2. Her limbs are not as precise as a healthy cat.And yes she is perking up. When we got her she couldn't hardly hold her head up. Now she goes to a plate of food or we will play with her and walk her in circles.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At this point, it's definitely possible that the reason she's having problems with mobility is because she's so weak from malnutrition. The fact that she's seeming to perk up a bit now that she's getting food is a pretty good sign.

You're actually doing everything that I would do...but tomorrow, when vets open, I would make an appointment for them to take a peek at her. They'll check to make sure that she doesn't have intestinal parasites (which steal nutrition from pets) and may want to just give her a quick once over to make sure she doesn't have anything medically wrong with her.

But it sounds like you're on a very good path with getting her feeling better.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN, CVT