Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 4year old female house cat threw up bile about an hour…

Customer Question
My 4year old female...

My 4year old female house cat threw up bile about an hour ago. She seems otherwise healthy. She is a little overweight. Big change in the household in the past few days. We adopted 2 older kittens and another adult cat. We also have a 16 year old female cat in the house. I was hoping the new adult cat would be a good friend for my girl, as the senior citizen wants nothing to do with her. Her 3 year old male cat companion recently died of kidney failure, and both other cats have been affected by his passing. We're having a bit of a transition time going on, with all the cats having food issues. I don't know how much my sick girl has been eating, but I think she's been having something at weird intervals. How serious is this? I'm very worried about her. Thanks for your help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your kitten eat anything unusual?

The kittens are fine. The mess is not the issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?

Pearl, I'm concerned about a four year old cat who vomited bile about an hour ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat
7/29/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 11 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

My heartfelt condolences on the recent loss of your 3 year old male kitty to kidney failure. I'm sorry your 4 year old girl and the others, are grieving, but this is to be expected. Grieving and the big change in your feline household population can be taking a toll on your girl who threw up bile. This could be due to stress, diet, or an underlying medical condition.

She could have eaten one of the other cats' food, which didn't agree with her, she could have allergies to some of the contents in her current food, she might have ingested something she shouldn't have, or she could be producing excess stomach acid or have acid reflux, which leads to nausea. For the moment, you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. tablet of the OTC acid controller, Pepcid AC (generic =Famotidine) every 12 hours and see if this will soothe her stomach and quell the nausea. Here is more information:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

----------

Put her on a bland diet of plain, jarred, infant baby food chicken, containing NO onion or garlic products---Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken is a good one. Serve her small portions at a time, as long as she's not actively vomiting. You can finger feed her, instead of putting it in a bowl or on a plate. Also, encourage her to drink.

For the stress that she is encountering, with the addition of other kitties, you can get some Feliway plug in diffusers; these emit cat calming pheromones and have no scent to humans:

http://www.feliway.com/us

------------

If she only vomited once, that's good, but if she continues to vomit on a steady basis, she will need to be seen by a vet, to determine the cause, based on a physical exam and lab work. The vet will also give her an injection of an anti-emetic, to help with the nausea and vomiting.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl! Please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher