Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has a knot or hard lump where his tail meets his

Customer Question
My cat has a...

My cat has a knot or hard lump where his tail meets his spine. 2 days ago I noticed he was holding his tail down and wasn't quite himself. He is eating and drinking, although not with quite as much gusto as before. He isn't licking or biting the area, it doesn't appear to have a scab or odor. He towels when you touch it with any pressure. He still is jumping up on tables and climbing his tree in the back yard. He spends most of his time indoors but has a kitty door to the back porch and yard. He has lots of long fur, so I can't get a good look at the knot - it feels hard, not hot though. I'm taking him to the vet today. He's neutered and has had shots. I have his mother cat, so I've had him since the day he was born indoors.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the kitten's name?

Oreo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?

I dont think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat
7/29/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Oreo. How old is he? That is great that you have that appointment with your vet today. That is going to be the best thing for him. Anytime I have a cat with a suddenly appearing lump, an abscess is always at the top of the rule out list. With male cats that can get out, they can get into a fight and have a fight and get a cat bite abscess. Sometimes the actual bite / puncture area is very hard to find. What you're vet will do today most likely is aspirate that swelling with a needle to see what comes out of it.

He's 1 - he was born 6/24/16.

Thanks for that. With him being so young, the abscess situation seems to be most likely. It would seem pretty unlikely that it could be some cancerous type growth. The other possibility is a larvae in the skin called a cutarebrae.

I'll be very curious to hear how the appointment goes today and what your vet diagnosis with Oreo. If you want to let me know, that would be great~

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?