Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

He is throwing up black dark tarry substance. He is almost a

Customer Question

He is throwing up black dark green tarry substance. He is almost a year old, has been fixed and has all his shots. He was a rescue and he come inside and outside.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: He started by throwing up cat food, then it turn to this after three days. I don't know if he ate anything unusual:(
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Neptune why?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry Neptune is throwing up for the past three days. He must be dehydrated, which is dangerous to his health. Because he spends time outside, he could have licked, chewed, ingested something toxic or a non-food item and this is the cause of the vomiting. Here is more information about vomiting in cats:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=3576

--------------------------

Due to the color of his vomit, if he is not eating anything or his stomach is empty, due to the vomiting, this can be caused by bile mixed with excess acid in his stomach, which makes him nauseated. For the moment, you can give him 1/4 of a 10 mg. tablet of Pepcid AC (generic=Famotidine), which is an over the counter acid controller every 12 hours and see if this helps to soothe his stomach and quell any nausea. It's a very small pill, so 1/4 is quite tiny. You can give it to him in the traditional way and follow it with some water (dropper fed water from the side of the mouth, if he is not drinking on his own). They sell Pepcid AC in all pharmacies, Walmart, Target, supermarkets, etc.

Neptune should be seen by his (or any) vet, as soon as possible, to find the cause of the vomiting and be treated. He also may need I.V. or sub-Q (under the skin) fluids, if he is dehydrated.

I hope all will be well with Neptune!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your Neptune. I hope he's feeling better! My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?