Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

The kitten has a bump that is the size of a half dollar

Customer Question

The kitten has a bump that is the size of a half dollar covered in fur.. The kitten showed up at my house 2 days ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Rusty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?
Customer: I'd say the kitten is about 8 weeks old love to send you a picture
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Rusty. You can attach a picture here with the paper clip icon? Is this kitten eating and drinking well? Do you see any holes on / near this bump?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No holes eating and drinking... And playing ... I have absolutely no idea haw to send picture paper clip I would be using my apple phone
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there an email I could send pic to

Can you put the picture on your computer desk top and then attach it here? I can't receive emails per site policy. It is good that she's eating and drinking and playing. Suspicion for this swelling goes along the line of a possible infection / abscess. It could also be a cutarebrae in the skin - I've seen 2 of these this past week at my ER. These have a small hole present somewhere where the larvae breaths while it is under the skin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks so much I have a iPad and I phone

Do you feel that this bump is getting bigger? Can you carefully look all around it for any areas of bruising or redness or discharge?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The kitten showed up Sunday morning 2 days ago .... Just look at kitten do no see any open holes

The holes for the cutarebrae are usually small BB like holes. They can sometimes be harder to find if the fur is longer. Could it be an abscess? That is very possible in this situation. If this little one was to start to get dumpy and not eat well, then that abscess would be very suspect. Do you feel that you're going to be keeping her? If you are, getting her checked over by your vet would be a very good idea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you a real person?????....... How would I know if it were getting bigger if I only had him 2 days??? Can the computer give me an answer for that???????....?????....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello

I'm a real veterinarian. Sometimes some swellings / lumps are visibly increasing in size in a period of a day or so. Others can be much slower in their size increase.