Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I just got her from my neighbor yesterday to her. They said

Customer Question

I just got her from my neighbor yesterday to foster her. They said she lost her mucus plug yesterday but she has had no contractions so far and very little movement with the kittens
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Honey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: She has been sneezing
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this.

Cats can often times go a good 1-2 days between the first stages of labor (losing the mucus plug, nesting) and the second stage of labor when contractions start. Once the contractions start, we want to see a kitten within 1-2 hours. If there are contractions lasting more than 2 hours and no kitten, that is the time to see a vet and consider a c-section if needed.

Between kittens there can be a rest period for 2-4 hours with no contractions. Once the contractions start again, you should see kittens again within that 1-2 hour period.

Most cats have their kittens without issues. Occasionally we will see one where a kitten is stuck and a c-section is needed. Hopefully that doesn't happen with her, but it's something to be ready for just in case.

The day after she has the kittens, it's a good idea to get an exam and make sure all the kittens are out. If there are any retained, then again we should assist in getting them out.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! This is my first time having a cat to give birth. My worried at at ease for now. Is the sneezing Ok?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

That's probably just an upper respiratory infection. They're common in cats when the body is stressed. As long as she's eating/ drinking ok, I would just let it run it's course. Some pediatric nasal drops (little noses) can help. They're just saline drops and it can help moisten the nasal mucosa and give some at home relief.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you again!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

No problem. Happy to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?