Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My cat was diagnosed with wet fip,any suggestions he is

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed with wet fip,any suggestions he is still eating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: He has a fever and fluid in his stomach,the vet says he has wet fip
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Prince he was born in April of this year
JA: How old is Prince?
Customer: 3 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: No he had a bad respiratory infection and fever,and runny nose and eyes.he still has the fever they did an ultrasound sound on his stomach and saw fluid,they were able to get a drop of it out,they think it is wet fip.I refuse to give up
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am still waiting for an answer
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. FIP is an incurable disease and so the goal is to provide comfort and supportive/palliative care. Treatment options include antiviral drugs, immunosuppression, and supportive therapy in the form of IV fluids, broad-spectrum antibiotics to control secondary bacterial infections, nutritional support in the form of warming of food, offering multiple types of dry and moist food, hand feeding if anorexia arises, and vitamin A, B, C, and E supplementation.

Efficacy of most drugs hasn't been proven in controlled trials. In some drugs (e.g., antivirals), adverse effects contraindicate their use. Immunomodulating drugs such as human interferon-alpha (no controlled studies to show efficacy; few to no adverse effects), feline interferon-omega (no efficacy in a placebo-controlled double-blinded study), polyprenyl immunostimulant (effective in a case series to prolong life in three cats with FIP without effusion but controlled studies missing) can be considered. Immunosuppression with intraperitoneal dexamethasone followed by oral prednisolone can be palliative.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We had to put him to sleep. The fip was making him so weak he could not eat or meow

My condolences for your loss of Prince. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.