PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat hasn't pooped in two days, Kylie. I gave her some

Customer Question

My cat hasn't pooped in two days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kylie. I gave her some milk and she had tuna and water. She wouldn't touch her dry food-she is still peeing and playful
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kylie?
Customer: She is 16 but very active and playful
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was the last time that Kylie had bloodwork performed with your vet? Was any abnormality found? Do you have a copy of the bloodwork to share?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's an indoor cat so she hasn't seen the vet in years. She pooped two days ago after I gave her coconut oil and it worked and the stool was kinda large for her. She didn't touch her solid food, but she's eaten wet food and tuna with water, and some milk. She's active and playing and peeing

Thank you for the additional info. Even an inside cat at her age needs annual bloodwork. It's very uncommon for us to see senior animals reach those years without some type of organ dysfunction. The concern you've shared makes me concerned that she may have some underlying concern with her kidneys. Constipation is one medical concern that can be readily connected and treatment of this concern may keep her bowels more regular. More info here: http://www.vetstreet.com/care/constipation-in-cats If you wish to try treatment at home, I would purchase a hairball remedy from your local pet store such as laxatone. This can be given daily to make bowel movements easier. You can continue to use a small amount of milk daily, as well, as this can work as a laxative. Your vet may wish to discuss the usage of an enema to help clear her bowels of any stool that has not been produced. Over time, if this stool is not produced regularly, it can cause a cat to feel unwell, vomiting to begin, avoidance of food/water, etc. If you see these signs, she absolutely needs to be examined and treated promptly.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the hairball remedy as well. I looked into the cat enema online. If she is still playful and eating wet food/drinking, what length of time should cause concern-like one more day and then the enema?

I would be concerned now if she has not defecated in 2 days. I would exercise caution with using enemas at home due to the potential of causing injury. She needs to be producing bowel movements daily. I would try the hairball remedy and milk before going the route of an enema at home.

Checking in. How is Kylie doing today?