PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I took her to the vet a few days ago, because she is

Customer Question

I took her to the vet a few days ago, because she is sleeping a lot more and not eating or drinking. Since January she has lost 2 pounds. The vet ran some expensive blood tests, just to tell me it might be her liver or pancreas. Since we've brought her home she won't eat or drink. I've been trying to use a dropped but that's not working as she hates it. She has 2 brownish gray bumps under her canine teeth and her gums are super light pink almost white. For the last few mornings she's has clear slime/salvia coming out of her mouth ALOT. And a week ago she was throwing up white foam almost daily.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She's 10 years old and there's a 2 year old male cat in the house. But he fine
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you have a copy of the bloodwork to share? Did your vet discuss hospitalizing her?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have a copy with me at the moment. And no he did not. He suggested small amounts of baby food or wet food for a few days and then try her regular food, but she's just not eating.

Thank you for the information. Did they give any shots of medication when she was in? Did they send you home with any medication?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They gave her a shot for Naseua and she was dehydrated, so no meds to take home.

Alright. It's time to talk to your vet's office again about her. In this state, I am concerned that she may have pancreatitis with secondary onset of hepatic lipidosis. The drooling indicates nausea and these medical concerns can be life-threatening. If my suspicions are correct medically she's in a pickle. Cats with pancreatitis do not usually want to eat because they are nauseated and painful, but if they don't eat their liver problems often worsen putting them in a more critical state. It can become a vicious cycle and be quite difficult to manage well at home. Many of these cats require a gastric feeding tube and in-hospital management for a few days to a week or more, in some cases. I would highly recommend that she go somewhere today that can offer her additional care. If you wish to treat this at home, talk to your vet about another shot for nausea, such as cerenia, SQ fluids, and oral medications such as cerenia for nausea and an appetite stimulant. Pain medication like buprenorphine would also be wise as many cats with pancreatitis are uncomfortable and will not eat until their nausea and discomfort is addressed. I agree with your vet that baby food will be a useful food in helping her recover, but medication is going to be just as important so that her symptoms can be addressed. Many vets also wish to use a course of antibiotics during a case of pancreatitis, too. If you need help finding a place to take her today, let me know. I will need your city, state and zip code.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's not doing good. Her gums are all yellow. And unfourtantly I cannot afford the costs of medications and whatnot. We have chosen to put her down tomorrow. It's breaking my heart, but I don't know what else I can do for her
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

The yellow gums can be a sign of liver failure as I had mentioned above. I think you're taking the right step here considering the circumstances. Keep me posted on your progress and if you need additional help.

.