Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

8 yr old dsh part siamese neutered male. Annual exam &

Customer Question

8 yr old dsh part siamese neutered male. Annual exam & dental/vaccines
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the siamese?
Customer: Was done in May 2017. Had lost a bit of weight from last yrs annual so I was cautioned to watch him. He seems ravenous but not gaining so I took him to vet yesterday. Vet feels a mass now in abdomen tho none noted 2 mos ago. Says best way yo address is w/surgery now scheduled for this coming Monday. What are the chances this aggressive growth is not cancer? If it is, what are his chances for survival?
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the siamese?
Customer: Current weight is 8.4 lbs. Has thrown up a few times over the last couple of weeks & seems a bit lethargic.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: He is strictly an indoor cat &.has no history of disease & all bloodwork, urine etc is normal.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 12 days ago.

Hello again,

I'm sorry to hear this may be a serious situation for your boy.

If he is ravenous, but losing weight, throwing up and is lethargic, these are classic symptoms of hyperthyroidism, which older cats are more prone to develop. I hope a thyroid panel was done at the same time as his routine blood work. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm

---------------

If no other testing, like imaging, i.e. an x-ray, MRI, CT, were done I don't know why your vet is rushing to do surgery. IF some sort of imaging WAS done and this led your vet to the conclusion that surgery is necessary to determine what the problem is, and either remove it or do a biopsy, etc., that makes sense.

There's always a chance it could be a benign mass or cyst and there's also a chance it could be a malignant tumor. Many times, it's very difficult to tell, without doing exploratory surgery. Ask your vet if there's any way he could do an abdominocentisis, which is where a very thin needle is passed into the abdomen to withdraw any fluid, or perhaps get cells from this mass, and that should reveal more information.

Even though all was well at his last exam, medical conditions can crop up quickly and must be dealt with quickly. Also discuss the possibility of hyperthyroidism with your vet.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please keep me posted on how he's doing. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

Bonuses are never expected, but always appreciated!

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

I'm sorry, I left out an answer to one of your questions.

It would be impossible to say if this is an aggressive cancerous growth and also impossible to predict his chances of survival. While there are treatments like chemo and radiation for cancer, as there are for humans, more information would be needed, to make predictions, after we know what we're dealing with. If your vet does the surgery and is able to completely remove the mass, if it is malignant, the options will be discussed at that time.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this worry until you know something for sure!