Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Not sure, just had a kitten yesterday and I've found a worm

Customer Question
like thing by her bum...
Not sure, just had a kitten yesterday and I've found a worm like thing by her bum, my sister seems to think it's a maggot but I'm not to sure, I have a 3 year old and I'm worried it will harm him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: No thats all, otherwise she is a very happy kitten
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
7/13/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you have a picture of what you are seeing?

How old is this kitten?

Has he had any veterinary care thus far?

No pic sorry..the kitten is 8 weeks. And I was told that she was treated for fleas and worms and need a flee top up the end of next week,

Did the worm look like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uk_aCZxmWY

Kind of not so active or big, it was like only the head was slowly moving

What you're most likely seeing are tapeworm segments. It may be that this kitten was dewormed and these worms either develop since the last deworming or the medication needed to rid the kitten of this type of worm was not used (common in 6-8 week old kittens who are usually dewormed with pyrantel and not praziquantel, which will rid the body of tapeworms). People can acquire tapeworms by ingesting them, so be sure your child is washing his hands regularly and specifically after handling the kitten to minimize transmission.

Ok, can this be harmful to him? And so my next step should be to get her to the vets first thing?

Tapeworms can be harmful to their health, but typically most animals with them experience mild to moderate symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, occasional diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We'd like to see a kitten treated promptly, but this is not an emergency situation so long as he's still eating and drinking well. I would get him in to see the vet as quickly as possible. They will be able to offer treatment the same day either through an oral pill or injection. Some pet stores will offer tapeworm treatment through products with piperazine which I find to typically not be greatly effective and it can sometime make young kittens sick. I would personally stick with a vet visit over a pet store option, if at all possible, though these options do exist.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse