PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat is panting and breathing fast...loud meowing and it

Customer Question

My cat is panting and breathing fast...loud meowing and it looks like his front leg is paralyzed. He can't walk on it at all. He is an inside/outside cat. Been inside most of the day.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: No. He was under my son's bed. Came out crying and not walking well. He's just laying on the floor now.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jack 12 yrs
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: He just pooped involuntarily and it looked like there was small worms in it.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you by now. It's my hope that Jack has made it to the vet by now. It sounds like he may have a heart condition which has caused him to pass a blood clot into this circulatory system which has stopped in his front leg. The respiratory distress may be due to pain or may be due to a secondary respiratory problem from the potential heart condition. It's very possible that the may pass another clot in the days to come, so it's imperative that he is treated and preventive steps are taken such as anti platelet therapy (aspirin, plavix, etc) if this is diagnosed. It's unlikely that the worms in the stool are to blame, but this should also be addressed with a fecal analysis and treatment (it's likely these visible worms are tapeworms).

If you need help finding a veterinary office that is open at this hour, please let me know. I'll need your city, state and zipcode. More info on the condition I suspect may be the blame for Jack's condition here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/FelineHypertrophicCardiomyopathy.cfm

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800