Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Cat's whiskers have been falling out and some them looked like they have tons of split ends, Junior he is 4 years,

Customer Question
His whiskers have been falling...
His whiskers have been falling out and some them looked like they have tons of split ends
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Junior he is 4 years
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Junior
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Junior?
Customer: a couple months ago he had a severe ear infection. he ended up taking two different antibiotics and steroids.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
7/13/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 4 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry to hear that Junior's whiskers have you concerned.

How long have they been falling out?

Is an excessive amount falling out?

Is he pawing at them or do they seem to bother him?

Do you see any irritated skin under the whiskers?

Is it the outer end that seems to have split ends?

Thanks for all your additional information and please allow me a short time to compose and send your detailed answer, after you reply.

Kind regards,

Cher

For a few weeks now. Some are really short ,near his face. Those are the ones that looked frayed. Today I noticed that that side of is swollen but he is a tom cat and gets in fights. There is also a scratch there but the whisker problem was before any of this happened. I also live in Texas where fleas are a nightmare.
He does not paw at them and several of them have fallen out. I noticed him drooling today too while he was asleep.

Hello again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

You had said "Today I noticed that that side of_____ is swollen..." You accidentally left out a word or words. Did you mean that side of his face is swollen?

If he's an outdoor cat and gets into scuffles with other male cats, if there is a scratch in that area, it may have become infected and caused the swelling. If he's drooling in his sleep, this is not uncommon, but in addition to his other symptoms, it's possible he has an oral/dental problem. He may have an abscessed tooth or infected gums and this is causing the swelling and drooling.

Whiskers fall out on a regular basis, just like human hair and cat fur, and they are replaced by new ones. However, the whiskers should not be breaking and he should not have broken, short ones, unless this is the opposite and the short ones are new ones growing in.

Since you have a problem with fleas, I'm assuming Junior is protected by a monthly oral or topical flea treatment, sold by your vet. Don't ever use flea treatments from the supermarket or pet supply stores, unless (in pet stores) they carry the same brand that your vet does. The other, OTC flea treatments are not effective and have been known to cause dangerous, adverse side effects, some, even fatal! So, make sure Junior is treated with a good flea treatment. If he is infested with fleas, they could be getting into his whiskers (one of their favorite places) and biting them or biting the skin in between them, causing them to weaken.

Another possibility, is the fungal skin infection known as ringworm. Ringworm causes the hair or whiskers to break of close to the skin. Only the vet can diagnose ringworm in person with a special light called a 'Woods Lamp,' which makes the spores fluoresce. The Woods Lamp is like a black light. If Junior is found to be positive for ringworm, it will be treated by the vet with medication.

http://www.knowyourcat.info/health/ringworm.htm

If Junior is a 'Tom' cat, meaning he is not neutered, I would strongly suggest you neuter him. He'll get into less fights and it's healthy for him, as he would be protected from testicular cancer.

If he continues to develop new symptoms, or the current symptoms don't disappear, I would definitely recommend an in-person visit to the vet, where he can be evaluated and treated (if necessary).

I hope all will be well with Junior!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your kitty. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist