Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat has a food allergy, so she's been eating the same

Customer Question
Hi! My cat Hazel has...
Hi! My cat Hazel has a food allergy, so she's been eating the same food for about 1.5 years now (after cortisone shots and trying many different brands). But she refuses to eat wet food. She won't even eat dry food if it's covering (not mixed with) wet food. Recently, we moved to Germany from the States, and after a few months find out she has basically a UTI. (She was bleeding from her rear occasionally.) Now, the vet gave me wet food to give her with meds and a supplement. She refused the wet food. And then didn't look like she was eating much of the dry food (special ordered so it was the same). My husband and I even went and bought new dry food that the vet verified was very close ingredients-wise to her current food, and she still doesn't seem to be eating much. Now it is summer, and he first one ever without air conditioning (she's 4.5). And she hasn't lost weight, was 10.6 3 days ago and not 10
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hazel?
Customer: Now 10.8 pounds. Still had her hyper moments where she fetches, and it's her usual cat self at night. Do I need to take her in or just continue to monitor until her follow up in a week for the UTI..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Not seeing her eat, but her not losing weight and acting the same..
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
6/17/2017
Cat Vet: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Hazel has been diagnosed recently with a UTI and was put on a new food, which she is not wanting to eat. Despite this lack of apparent appetite, she is not losing weight and went from 10.6 lbs to 10.8 lbs in 3 days. Is that a correct summary?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I can not stop the offer from being made, but I am able to answer your question with the chat box only if you prefer it.

that summary is correct.
Sorry I'm in Germany and the time difference is killer.

That is all right. We may have a delay in speaking to each other, but I will make sure to to have your question answered. I understand how peculiar it seems that she is not eating much, but is still maintaining (or increasing) in body weight. There is a calculated amount of calories that she requires in order to maintain a body weight that we could determine. It is called a Metabolic Energy Requirement (MER). This is the absolute minimum of calories she needs to maintain weight. It is surprising to know how little calories are needed to meet this end. However, the fact that she is moving and playing means that she will need slightly more than the MER. The new food that she is being fed is likely higher in calories than previous foods that she has been offered. Therefore, even though she is apparently eating less, the amount that she is eating is likely surpassing her MER. Also, if she is getting food anywhere else besides her prescription food then that can also contribute.

Please let me know if you have other questions. If that satisfies your question, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. I will be standing by if you have other questions.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian