Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat all of a sudden came down sick and will not eat or

Customer Question
drink and is walking oddly...
My cat all of a sudden came down sick and will not eat or drink and is walking oddly and keeps going into her litter box to sleep. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow is there anything I can do to help her until then?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
6/15/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any breathing changes, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

How is she walking oddly? Hunched? Dragging legs?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Has she been passing urine and feces normally? Any struggles or straining?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

For last last 5 hours
Breathing seems normal no vomiting or drooling
Gums are pink and sticking
Doesn't seem in pain other than she is purring
She hasn't went to the bathroom in the last few hours but the last few days everything has been completely normal.
I don't have any plants inside and she is a house cat. Only chemicals I have used is bleach. And no medicine has Been left out.

Thank you,

And how is her walking odd?

She is moving really slowing and seems off balance

Thank you, ***** ***** is off balance, are you also seeing her with head tilting, circling in one direction or pressing her head into walls/corners?

No none of those things. She just wants to lay down.

Hello again,

That's fine, I just wanted to make sure her balance wasn't off from neurological issues. With that aside and based on her signs, even if she is putting on a brave face, the low posture she is moving with raise concerns that she has discomfort. If we can exclude injuries, then gut based ones from something she ate, a severe gastroenteritis, or pancreatitis would be suspect. And these often put cats off food/water (even without vomiting) but discomfort in general can do that as well.

Now unfortunately we don't have any kitty safe pain relief options (human OTC ones are cat toxic and not safe for empty stomachs), so we need those once her vet is open. Though in the meantime you can try to at least cover bases with any GI upset that may be putting her off food. To rule out nausea, you can try treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Though if she cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet to her daily feeds. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here but she isn't giving us specifics. Her general behaviour sounds sore even if she is being subtle when examined. And with her off food, we'd be concerned that the gut may be involved. So, we can try the above for her now with a view to having her vet see her once they are open. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable appetite stimulants, gut safe pain relief, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian