Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Hurt his foot. It's swollen and he won't put weight on it.

Customer Question

Hurt his foot. It's swollen and he won't put weight on it. No vet available till tomorrow. Please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Theo and he is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Theo?
Customer: Best cat ever and a little overweight
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cleo. Does he associate with other cats and could have been bitten? If so, his vet will prescribe a systemic antibiotic which needs to be onboard within 48 hours of being bitten lest the wound abscesses. For now, aspirin dosed at 5 mg per pound of body weight now and again in 48 hours if need be should be helpful. You must avoid the toxic acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen in cats. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will take him to my vet tomorrow.

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?