Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He has been limping the last few days. not sure. he is

Customer Question

he has been limping the last few days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: not sure. he is missing a patch of fur off his back between his shoulder blades and his collor was missing. he doesnt react when i touch his paw at all
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: charlie and 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about charlie?
Customer: he is more vocal then he normally is and will only let me come near him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If Charlie is an outside cat, his lameness, hair loss, and loss of his collar indicates that he had been traumatized by another cat or small mammal, fell from a high height, or perhaps was hit by a vehicle. If he won't allow your carefully examining him, please have his vet do so. I usually will find the tiny scabbed bite wounds on the lame limb and, if so, will prescribe a systemic antibiotic which should be onboard within 48 hours of the bite lest an abscess forms. If his vet finds that an abscess has already formed, it will be lanced, flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, and left open to drain or a drain will be sewn into the wound. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i just found a little lump on the back of his paw but no scab about the size of grain of rice

Thank you. That could be where he was bit. Tooth marks can be tiny and I'll miss them if I can't directly visualize them through the haircoat or feel a scab blindly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.