Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Foung 1/2 cap of Dexedrine ER. Cat is staring at nothing

Customer Question

Foung 1/2 cap of Dexedrine ER. Cat is staring at nothing acting abnormal. Unsure how much - if any - was ingested
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Scott 5y/o
JA: How old is Scott?
Customer: 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scott?
Customer: Weighs 8#
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Scott may have ingested Dexedrine. What was the strength of the capsule; how many mg of dexedrine were in it? I need that to calculate how much he may have gotten in 1/2 cap.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

If he got it recently, giving activated charcoal might be helpful in preventing his absorbing any more of the drug. This needs to be done at an emergency clinic.

There is no antidote for this drug, but giving tranquilizers like acepromazine, and cyproheptadine for dysphoria, and IV fluids to maintain hydration until the drug wears off is the usual treatment.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

If he gets worse, I would take him to emergency for sure, and taking him now is not a bad idea.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe 20mgs
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

So 1/2 would be 10 mg. Even if he got only 5 mg, this could be serious.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is hydrogen peroxide safe to induce vomiting?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

If he got the pill long enough ago to be affecting him, it is too late to induce vomiting. Also hydrogen peroxide can cause bleeding in the stomach; cats have died from being given it and I do not recommend it.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Once you start to see signs of it affecting him, giving activated charcoal is recommended to absorb any that may still be in the intestines before it is absorbed. It has to be a fairly large dose of activated (not regular) charcoal and a tube is needed to administer it safely.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know how he is doing, if I can answer anything else, and if my answer has been helpful.

I hope he only got enough to not be a dangerous dose, but don't hesitate getting him to a veterinarian if he gets worse.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Are you still there? I have not heard back from you. How is Scott doing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He won't eat or drink. Just staring at the wall
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

If he were mine, I would get him to emergency for activated charcoal, cyproheptadine, acepromazine, and monitoring.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is he doing? Please let me know if my answer was helpful and what other question I can answer and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Scott today?