Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a a haired cat that weighs about 20 pounds. When I

Customer Question

I have a a long haired cat that weighs about 20 pounds. When I scratch him I can feel rough spots on his body. I decided to shave him and give him a good cleaning (this did not fare well for either of us)! I am disabled and regularly take 2 mg of clozonepam (sp),10 mg does of hydrocodone 10/325, 20 mg of baclofen and 10 mg of tramadol. Can I safely use one of these to kind of sedate him so I can shave him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Phebo and 12 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Phebo?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay

Clonazepam can be used as an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety drug) in the wide range of dosing of 0.05 - 0.5 mg per pound of body weight (1-10 mg for Phebo). Adverse reactions may include sedation (desirable in your case), ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and possible hepatic necrosis (liver death) but thought to be less likely to occur than with diazepam (Valium).

Recommended dosing for the analgesic tramadol is 0.5 - 1 mg per pound of body weight (10-20 mg for Phebo). It has an upleasant taste and so dose avoidance may be an issue. Neurologic (ataxia) and opioid (sedation, lethargy) adverse effects can be seen particularly at dosages higher than 1 mg/lb.

The hydrocodone/acetaminophen must be avoided as acetaminophen is toxic to cats. Baclofen is also toxic to cats. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you think if I can give him 20 mg of tramadol that it will sedate him enough to shave him?

It's certainly worth a try and would be safe for Phebo. I would give it 2 hours prior to its desired effect. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, that should be all I need. I appreciate your professional answer, it was much appreciated!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where are you located? I am always just curious about where people are and how the weather is.

You're welcome. Be careful! Drugs can have unpredicatable results. I'm typing from the San Diego, CA area. "June gloom" at the coast; hot and dry in the mountains and desert. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I used to be in the trucking business many years ago. I love San Diego! Just wish I had had the resouces and accumen to have invested in property there 35 years ago!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Traveled there about every other week and can remember $125,000 houses, which was ludicrous to me as I had built a custom 1800 sq, foot home in Oklahoma for $57,400!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now those homes are $500,000 to $650,000!

You would have been very, very wealthy if you had invested in real estate back then. I remember the area 60 years ago when I thought it was a charmless imitation of LA. Now I'm here because I moved from Hawaii to be near my daughter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Another place to have invested in 35 years ago!

Ain't it the truth!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have been there, but am going to go before my time is over. I am a retired school principal and own 2200 acres of farm land in Oklahoma, much of it inherited, but turned out to be a good investment.

That's a lot of acres and if there's oil underneath them that's a special bonus.