Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is 17 and definitely onthe decline. He has had kidney

Customer Question
Hi my cat is 17...
Hi my cat is 17 and definitely onthe decline.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: He has had kidney disease for a while and after a leg brake and surgery this past fall he has become blind etc.
JA: Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Yes a fall. But he does ok hobbling around.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Max. :). Anyways. We know that the end is close but he is still snuggly and seems content. The past week or so though I've been concerned about his stools. They have always been hard and tough for him to get out but now he is having some loose stools and they are pale grey ish and maybe slightly green. In searching it looks like he is having some bile duct issues. My concern is that we have had a vacation planned for some time and I'm scheduled to leave this Thursday for a week and a half.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: My heart is breaking but I'm not sure if he could decline very fast while we are away with the new addition of this issue.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
5/16/2017
Cat Vet: Hilary Humm-Beatty, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Veterinarian

Hi. I am Dr. Beatty and I am reading through your information about Max. I will be right back with you.

I understand that Max is a senior kitty (17!) and has some chronic issues with kidney disease, blindness, arthritis and constipation. Lately he has been having loose stools. I hear that you have a vacation planned and that you are very worried about leaving him for a week and a half in his present condition. You are really worried he may decline while you are away.

Oh my goodness! This is a tought situation. It is so hard to see our beloved companions declining and so hard to know what the right thing to do is. Your situation is especially hard because you are leaving town and don't want to rush into any decisions about him but certainly don't want him to decompensate while you are gone. Where is is staying while you are gone?

With these senior kitties with chronic medical conditions the often can decline rapidly when they are stressed. It is often stressful for them when their owners leave them. Usually it is more stressful if they are in a boarding type facility but even being left at home alone can be really stressful for them. When these old guys get stressed they often stop eating and drinking well and that can really cause them to lose ground maintaining their status quo with their various illnesses. If Max is staying at the veterinary clinic in a medical boarding arrangement they will be able to watch him more carefully and offer treatments to support him. Sometimes, that is enough to help them through the stressful time.

I would recommend calling your veterinarian tomorrow and talking to them about what is currently going on with Max and see what their feeling is about how he will do while you are away. They know him well and can probably give you a better assessment of how he will do while you are away. They might also be able to talk with you about medical boarding options at either their clinic or another clinic if they do not offer it. Or, sometimes, they have a vet tech who will do pet sitting and could come and take care of Max for you (or come and check on him for you or your housesitter) while you are away. That person could give him subcutaneous fluids or get him to the clinic if he needs additional help.

If you have any other questions or concerns I am happy to help answer them the best I can. If I have been helpful to you please "ACCEPT" my answer and "RATE" service. This provides me with valuable feedback on my service and provides feedback to other clients looking for help for their pets. Thanks for trusting us tonight to ask your questions. Again, if I can offer you any other information for Max, please let me know. Dr. Beatty

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

henrysdoc
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Veterinarian