Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We are in the process of moving to a temporary apartment

Customer Question

we are in the process of moving to a temporary apartment until our new condo is ready. now all she wants to do is go outside, she has always been afraid of the outdoors. I know it all ties into the move and chaos, how can I help her adjust to the changes?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: she yowls all the time and acts like she is miserable. she has never been very vocal until now
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: not really, she favors. her front paw but she has had that checked out by a vet and they couldn't find anything. other. than that, no difference
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she is about 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: she has no other problems, just the stress of the changes going on.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry Lucy is so upset.She is probably reacting to all the anxious energy in the house.

Cats do not follow a pack leader the way dogs do but they do sense their human parents energy and respond accordingly - so if you are nervous, they will be nervous. If you are stressed, they are stressed as well.

make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 3 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm her down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mg

There are several othe things you can do. Play a radio softly at night so she does not "hear" so much quiet. Leave a soft light on so she does not "see" so much darkness. Get some feliway plugins as these will calm her down, she can get very anxious at night. You can get them at some pet supplies or http://www.catfaeries.com/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8906

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri