Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Shes licking herself until she has sres, Moomoo and 4, She

Customer Question
Shes licking herself until she...
Shes licking herself until she has sres
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Moomoo and 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moomoo?
Customer: She does have her right leg amputated from a broen femur at age 8 months
JA: Did Moomoo have a fall?
Customer: Otherwise no Yes
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/12/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?
Where does she lick most (ie back, tail base, belly, feet, etc)?
Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, etc)?
Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?
What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Shes been doing it for a yr or two. And its her back and base of tail. I bath her with adams flea shampoo or powder her about every two months. And shes been wormed. No diet changes either
No calls please we can type. She doesnt make odd sounds

No worries, please disregard the auto-call offer from the site.

Now I have to note that if Moomoo is targeting her back/tail base regions, this is highly characteristic of flea allergy dermatitis (FAD) and the product you listed isn't very good at protecting them from fleas. And that is quite a concern if she is a FAD cat since it only takes one flea bite to set these kitties off. Therefore in this case it'd be ideal to first treat her with a good quality flea treatment (ie Advantage Multi, Advantage II, Activyl, etc) to make sure she is clear of fleas and that we aren't being failed by the Adams treatments. These should be used monthly.

Otherwise, to counter the irritation itself, we can trial Moomoo on an OTC antihistamine. These can help settle allergic skin reactions and decrease general itchiness and may just be enough to help give her some relief (and it can help with any allergy cause, so even if she had an odd pollen issue it would be of benefit). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention.

Finally, just since self-trauma is the root of her sores, you may also want to consider taking steps to limit her access to her skin. To do so, we want to keep her claws clipped short (or covered with Soft Paws), place an e-collar to give her skin a break from her chewing, +/- cover the area with a baby-gro or baby tshirt. As well, if there are any open ulcers or sores now, then do make sure to keep them clean with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water --1 tbsp to a pint warm water) and if we are blocking her access to the area we can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream to reduce infection risks.

Overall, there are quite a few potential causes for the signs she is showing but the areas she targets ring alarm bells of flea allergy dermatitis. So, we'd want to use the above at this point to help soothe her signs +/- could have her vet check for this and treat with long acting steroids by injection if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian