Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat ate a piece of dental floss my roommate left lying

Customer Question

My cat ate a piece of dental floss my roommate left lying around only saw about 2 inches hanging out of his mouth but he swallowed it before I could grab him. I was playing and giving them hairball treats at the time so I gave him an extra 5.He seems fine. What can I do ??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Joshie 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joshie?
Customer: No. He's healthy , a good eater.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The chances are that smaller pieces of dental floss say around two inches or so will probably just pass straight through Joshie's intestinal tract and not cause any problems. However very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to cats swallowing longer pieces as this can tie the the intestines up into a knot and cause both quite severe intestinal tract damage and consequent intestinal tract obstruction.

2. The chances are that if you do nothing then your cat will be just fine but if you want to take every precaution then you may want to induce vomiting and recover the dental floss, if you can do this in the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. But if you do not induce vomiting then you should keep an eye on your cat and contact a local vet without delay if any odd symptoms occur. Such symptoms could include vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Joshie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Joshie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dental floss ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?