PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 17 year cat started methimazole a week and 1/2 ago. Her

Customer Question

My 17 year cat started methimazole a week and 1/2 ago. Her thyroid level was 24.4 and the vet told me it should be .5 - 4. We have her on a transdermal gel and started at .5. She seemed to be tolerating fine until last Thursday when she had an issue with her right foot. Was a bit limp. We took her to the vet and she recommended going to 1.0. In the last day, Pebbles has been lethargic, not visiting me, and may be throwing up. (we have another cat so can't tell for sure.) I'm wondering if the dose is too high. From first vet visit to second (for the foot) she lost another pound. Down to 6.5 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: This is a very active cat that goes for walks, climbs trees for the fun of it. Sorry, misstated her age. She is 16.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The increase in dose could certainly be the reason that she is feeling lethargic. I would speak to your vet about reducing the dose either back to 0.5 or possibly finding a happy medium like 0.75 instead of 1.

How is her foot doing? Did they reach a diagnosis on it? Was she holding it up or dragging it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her foot was floppy but now she is walking on it just fine, jumping up on chairs, but still favoring it. The vet checked her neck and Pebbles flinched with manipulation. Vet thought if might be neurological. My thought it could have been some leaping down and she flecked a disk.

I do want to mention that heart disease secondary to hyperthyroidism is common in cats, this is known as thyrotoxic cardiomyopathy. And we can see similar loss of usage in the limbs. Treatment with methimazole may well resolve any heart disease that has developed over time from the thyroid condition, but I do want to mention this so you're keenly aware and prepared, just in case. This could continue in the future. More info here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/cardiomyopathy.cfm

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your girl today?