Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is only 2 we've had her for 2 months now. At first

Customer Question

Hello . My cat is only 2 we've had her for 2 months now . At first she would only urine in the litter box, and never poop in it . She'd poop on the floor, in my moms room under the bed . She's pooped once in my room. And several times in the living room and dining room area. I bought 2 litter boxes at first she'd poop in there then she just stopped all together . Now it's the couch. We had a cat in the past, I was told that she can smell him there, and she's pooping there to mark her territory. I bought a product called dumb cat, and sprayed the couch, it's suppose to remove all scents, from the couch to make her stop. Unfortunately she's still doing it . I bought cat attract , a litter for behavioral issues, she pooped in there once, and today pooped on the couch. Running out of patience ? I have the slightest clue what else to do ? I'll spray the couch again with dumb cat, it did say that it won't happen over night and it's not magic , maybe I have to do it a few more times, before it work . If you have any suggestions, I'm open .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dumb?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** nothing else .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry your mom is having trouble with a cat she was so kind to save.

Is the poop normal, hard or loose?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its normal loose .. kinda in between .
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Audi is doing this because she is afraid she will step in loose stools in the litter box.

Here is how to stop this behavior.

1. feed pate canned cat food with a tablespoon of cooked brown rice added. It is fiber that will normalize the stool.

2. Give one half tsp a day of plain yogurt for "good" bacteria

3. use a low sided pan:

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=low+side+litter+box&v_t=client97_inbox

4. add a 2nd box in case she does not want to pee ad poop in the same one.

5 spray soiled items with citrus. Cats HATE the smell so will avoid soiling there

6. give a mood stabilizer:

make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 3 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm her down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mg

7. use zero odor to clean up accidents:

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's fine . She has a vet appointment Tuesday. Thank you!
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. It was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a 5 star rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri