Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He's 15 and we just noticed that he was drooling right now.

Customer Question
He's 15 and we...

He's 15 and we just noticed that he was drooling right now. Vets are closed but wanted to try something natural first.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?

Not that I know of. He has been eating as of yesterday

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
4/1/2017
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am sorry your boy is drooling.

Can you check inside his mouth for a stuck item, bad tooth, sore or any abnormalities?

Could he have licked a disagreeable substance?
What and when did he eat last?
Indoor kitty?

If you have checked and ruled out all the above, lets try to get him to eat.

Rub a drop of honey or syrup into his gums to raise his blood sugar in case he is hypoglycemic. That should perk him up.

make sure he is able to urinate.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish, see if he will lap it up for hydration. If he does, offer some tuna.

Also try baby food chicken with no onion powder, fancy feast or friskies canned cat food or boiled chicken.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

If this is allergic he can take an antihistamine:

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri