PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We just moved to a new home and our indoor/outdoor cat who

We just moved to a new home and our indoor/outdoor cat who does his site outside has started pooping in our new home! Same spot every time. He's 1 1/2 old and has never had an issue with this before now. What is going on??

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Jen. Chances are this is due to stress. New homes are scary for all involved, especially going outdoors. Does he have an indoor cat box? If so, is it easy to find? Has he used it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He doesn't. He has never been a littler box cat. I don't want to train him to use one only to have to untrain him after. We hate using littler boxes. :/
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the $28 for the phone cal in addition to or instead of the $36 for text?

If you want a phone call, the cost is separate.

The good news about cats is that there is no "training and retraining". Cats have an inherent knowledge of where they're supposed to go. Alas, in this situation, Elvis is going to likely continue using your home until he gains confidence to defecate outside. My suggestion would be to encourage the usage of a box instead of your home. Cat boxes can be a pain to maintain, I sympathize there, but consider that if you don't break the habit of using the bathroom in your home (and not in a box) you may never break him.

Is he urinating outside at this time and not in the home?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't tell. He goes outside and does his business there sometimes and then other times, he does it inside. He seems pretty comfortable outside already. He's a smart cat. But what do I do when he does poop in the house? Is letting him know he's in trouble a good response?

No, cats don't associate punishment with poor behavior. If they are using the bathroom in the wrong place, there is an issue. If he's been trained to do this in the past, there's no problem with him knowing where he needs to go. The problem is why he doesn't want to go here.

Now, if you catch him, you can tell him no and put I'm outside to finish his business but do not make a huge to-about the incident as you're likely to only encourage fear which I suspect is the main issue. Then, he will begin hiding in spaces like closets to use the bathroom.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the only real solution to to litter box train him? How long will he have to use it before I train him to go outside again and how do I go about training him to go outside again?

This isn't training, he already knows where he is supposed to go. This is giving him a place to go while he's inside instead of the house. If he does not feel comfortable going outside, the litter box is the fail safe so he's not using your home as a cat box.

He should also be using the bathroom outside and since that is his natural inclination he should slowly begin going back to using the outdoors full time. If he does not, an underlying cause should be searched for including a urinary tract infection, intestinal parasites, etc.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks for your suggestions

I hope all goes well. If you need more help, let me know. And if you do find that he's urinating in the house (which is easiest with the lights out, using a black light on the carpet and furniture which will glow highlighter yellow) it's time to see your vet for some diagnostics.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he's been using the litter box like it's been his habit his whole life. (Which it hasn't.) I'm glad he's not using the house anymore but how do we transition him to going outside? I HATE litter boxes. He is seeming less depressed and more comfortable here now but I know the previous owners had dogs that lived inside and did their business outside, which I bet he can smell, and it's very snowy where we are right now. Would that all factor into his hesitancy to do his business outside?

Very likely.

Was he exposed to large volumes of snowfall previously?

How is he to get outside? Is there a door with a flap he's familiar with using?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He's used to large volumes of snow and he's never had a flap or car door.

I would begin slowly moving the cat box toward the door, if it's not already there. Once you've reached the door, leave it at least 3 days and then move it on the other side of the door outside. Give him opportunities to use the box. Make sure that you have a patch of earth cleared for him to use in the back yard if that is the plan for where you want him to go.