Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Before i continue, is there a charge for this service? :( we

Customer Question

before i continue, is there a charge for this service? :(
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: we currently have 3 cats, 2 brothers, 1 female (female was there first). Got the brothers a few months back. the one issue we have with one of the boys is him jumping up ALL THE TIME on the counters whenever we (the humans) have food out. he's even jumped into the fridge when we open it. also takes a jump & dive into the sink. what can we do to stop this?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: good health, brothers are 2 years old, what other info would you need?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sherlock (brother is Watson)
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we've tried spraying with a water bottle to keep him down, also have placed him in another room behind closed doors until we were finished preparing/eating our food.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry you have this trouble. However, it is very easy to fox.First do not spray water because then they know you did it.An outside source is necessary.

All you need is a scat mat or air blaster as a permanent deterrent.One emits a harmless static shock, the other a quick burst of air. A few times and they WILL stay off the counter.

https://www.amazon.com/cat-air-blaster/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acat%20air%20blaster

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet-Supplies-Cat-Repellent-Mats/zgbs/pet-supplies/3024142011

I promise it will deter Sherlock and Watson and you will be able to enjoy your meals in peace.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Terri,
after looking into these not-so-cheap products, it appears the reviews on the air are not well received and the mat is more for the sofas. yes, we could get a smaller mat, but this only covers one side of the counter - we would need at least 3 mats (and at $50 each, that's costly). Not to mention the fact that every time we open the fridge, he like to try jumping into that also because he knows there's food there. Is there any other resolve that doesn't include spending so much money?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

What about the air blaster? That is much cheaper than the mat.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
from the reviews, you get what you pay for - apparently, the blaster has its own problems: 1-set off by humans, 2-cat ignores after knowing what it is, 3- good for 80-100 sprays not accurate (less than a week was what most reviews state). Can you think of any other remedies?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Try putting a sheet of tin foil on the counter. Cats don't like the way it feels on their feet.

You can also sit down with a throw pillow..the second he goes to jump say NO and gently push him back with the pilow.

Soon, as soon as he sees the pillow he will walk away.

I trained my cats to not bite using the pillow method.