Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has a problem with biting when I am him. He is from a

Customer Question

My cat has a problem with biting when I am petting him. He is from a shelter. He is a sweet car must of the time except when he bites. When he first came to me, he destroyed everything in his path. I finally have changed that problem. It is a once in awhile problem now. He seems to love me so I don't understand his biting. I know I love him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 15 months old. I got him from the shelter when he was 6 months. old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Allie?
Customer: No, I don't think so. He is a Maine Coon. Very pretty tan in color. He is not trusting to strangers. He likes to have me around to protect him. I guess. He will go out for a short while, but it wants to come in most of the day. I like that. I prefer an inside cat anyway.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, again.

Allie sounds like a cutie and very affectionate! : )

He's still quite young and must be taught that biting will not be tolerated. You mentioned that he was biting you while you're petting him. This is not uncommon; while being petted, many cats become overstimulated and will bite to let you know 'ENOUGH!' and they no longer want to be petted. On the other hand, sometimes, they get so relaxed and loving, they give you a little 'love nip' to show their affection.

Make sure that when Allie is on your lap or next to you and your petting him, that you stop before he can bite. Some signs to look for, before he might bite, are: ears back, eyes narrowed, tail swishing quickly or slapping on the surface he's on.

When he bites, tell him firmly, but don't yell: No! or 'No bite' and walk away from him. If you are consistent with this, he'll learn that he would rather have your attention than bite.

If he's nervous when strangers are around, make sure he has a safe place to go, to hide and not have to deal with other people. Also, get a Feliway plug in diffuser; this emits calming pheromones and helps diminish stress. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/us

----------

Maine Coons are one of my most favorite breeds; I love their bushy tails! : ) I'll bet Allie is beautiful! I would encourage him to be an indoor-only cat, as there are too many dangers outside that cats can face.

I hope all will go well!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. There is no additional cost to rate. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' at no additional charge.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Cher