Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have an 11 year old maine coon. He is my baby and for the

I have an 11 year old maine coon. He is my baby and for the past 2 months he's had stomach problems. The first unusual thing I noticed was his stomach was making a lot of loud noises that I never heard before... accompanied by projectile light brown liquid vomiting. He would feel better after that. and seemed good for the rest of the day ... most of the time. My regular vet kinda tossed up his hands and didn't know what to do. I no longer take Simba to him. When he stopped eating for a couple days I took him to another vet, they ran blood work and did X-rays. Yes expensive! Lab work said his creatinine was a bit high at 2.6. Everything else looked fine. The X-rays showed some gas in the stomach and everything else looked normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your maine eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, well not that I noticed. He is an indoor cat.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the maine's name?
Customer: Simba
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simba?
Customer: Well, h Yes He has been given Famotidine 1/4 tab of 10mg and the last couple of days that was vminited also a few hours after giving it. I was also giving Sucralfate liquid and that sometimes would cause a lot of noises in his stomach because he would swallow gas. I was told to feed him I/D to try to settle his stomach, but he doesn't like it very much or probably doesn't feel well period. If you're nauseous most of the time, our not going to eat.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am sorry Simba has this trouble. One of the most common food allergens in cats is poultry so I want Simba off ANY food containing any poultry.Remove ALL dry food too.

Start him on a novel protein like rabbit, venison, beef or lamb.

www.wildcalling.com

You can get lamb, veal or beef baby food with no onion powder to start

Go to a drug store and get infant simethicone (GasX)

Give him 2 drops every 6 hours.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I'm really puzzled about your response. In all my years of owning cats...I had never heard NOT to give them poultry!
I liked your gas suggestion, but then you had no comment on the high creatinine levels. I just had more blood work done yesterday, because he is still not eating normally (he does well for 5 days, then won't eat for 2 to 3 days) and this time the creatinine levels were down to 1.8. This new vet is telling me that this is still high, that since he is an older cat the levels should be down to below 1.4! He tells me most likely he has lost 75% of his kidney function already! The previous vet had said 2.6 was only the beginning stage of kidney disease. Since I was not real pleased with your initial answer, will I be charged again for you to answer regarding the creatinine levels?

No, you will not be charged no matter how many times you reply.

I wanted to try a non poultry diet to see if a novel protein would resolve his stomach issues.

I can give you l recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets before Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

The average levels of creatinine can be between 0.6 and 2.2 mg per dl.

If the creatinine levels are more than 2.5 mg per dl, this means that the cat has elevated creatinine levels and this can point to a kidney problem. This means that the kidneys are not able to filter the creatinine as they should and this will result in a high level of toxins in the cat’s body

Many times we can reduce BUN and creatnine levels with SubQ fluids as dehydration can cause the elevation.

Cats with only 25% of kidney function can do fine via SubQ fluids which can evn be administered at home:

http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

Thanks so much for your rating.

There is NO further charge so please feel free to reply as many times as you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Terri, it doesn't look like my last reply went through where I ask you a few questions regarding why dry food is not recommended ... And if you have a preference for Royal Canin versus Hills. There was more, but I don't want to repeat myself if you did receive.Please let me know.

This is the only reply I got from you.

Esteemed authorities recommend NOT feeding dry food, especially for a male cats.

That is because cats are obligate carnivores that must eat meat to stay healthy.

Dry food causes overweight, diabetes, Urinary issues and vomiting.

Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

Hills foods contain corn, gluten and additives where royal canin is a more natural food.

If you have more questions please post them and I will be more than happy to reply