Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a calico female kitten. Very sweet and timid. Got her

Customer Question

I have a calico female kitten. Very sweet and timid. Got her at 8 weeks. Hard to litter train. After weeks of pooping all over. I put her in a dog pen with litter box food and water for about 18 hours. She uses litter box ok now,but she does not clean herself. She stinks and gets poop all over I even had to clean the dog today. I wash her and started to put milk and sugar mix on her backside, but not working. She won't clean her hair or tail and she looks terrible. Sweet, but I'm not sure how I can bathe her after every poop for years. Any suggestions would be great??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: America, after our new warship, my son is stationed on her and he named her.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about America?
Customer: No she eats well. She is small for her age. About 6 months. Follows our lab around, friendly, follows dog outside but never runs off. Timid.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

Is her poop normal, hard or loose?

What does she eat?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Loose, creamy. Hard meow mix. At first mix between can and hard, smell was horrible. All hard food for last few months.
Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

America! What a purrfect purrtriotic name for a cat!

Many cats are lazy and do not clean themselves, hence they must be bathed like dogs.Grooming is taught by a mother cat so if the kitten is orphaned or taken from mom too early she does not learn how to do this.Humans can not teach her even with milk and honey LOL

Inbeween use a alcohol free baby wipe to keep her clean

If she is long haired keep he pants hair short and the rest trimmed.

Give her one half tsp of plain yogurt every day. It contains acidophilis and will clear up the bad bacteria that causes that smell.

Add a quarter tsp of metimucul to canned or baby food to firm her stool.

Feed her natural, grain free canned food with a tablespoon of boiled white rice added!

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri