Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My ten year old neutered cat started acting lethargic and

Customer Question
My ten year old neutered...
My ten year old neutered cat started acting lethargic and uninterested in eating several days ago. There are two other cats in the house and a lot of activity, so it's hard to single him out, but I try. I took him to the vet who performed an ultrasound and said he only had one kidney;the other was shriveled, but it seemed healthy. He had a normal temperature and blood panel. The vet gave him an oral NSAID for pain. He probably has arthritis, too. He still remains uninterested in eating and acts depressed. What should our next step be? I can't say whether he has drunk water or urinated...too many cats!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Hunter. The vet did a blood test and temp
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hunter?
Customer: He's known him his whole life...
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
1/6/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 10 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

He has finally eaten a little bit of course it's on his forbidden list--Bonita fish flakes. He is acting more like himself--sleeping in his usual special place instead of the floor. It is midnight here and I must sleep now.

Hello again.

I'm sorry Hunter's symptoms have you worried. It's important to know if he is drinking and urinating, because male cats are more prone to develop urethral blockages which prevent them from urinating at all and this is life-threatening. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm

-----------

I'm assuming the vet did not collect urine for a urinalysis, because you only mentioned the blood test, but I hoping he felt his bladder and if it felt very full, he would have expressed (emptied) it and if nothing came out or Hunter seemed to be in pain, the vet would have explored a blockage further.

He may have an oral or dental problem that's causing discomfort when he eats. Again, I'm assuming the vet checked his mouth. He could have something stuck under his tongue or on the roof of his mouth, or between teeth.

Oh, I just got your reply and thanks for letting me know that he finally ate. Try to get him to eat something that's not on his forbidden list. Try some baby food meat, containing NO onion or garlic products. Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken or Turkey are good ones.

Continue to monitor him and offer him some tuna water to lap up, then some tuna.

Sweet dreams!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much! Bonuses are always welcomed.

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or further information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' at no additional charge.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Kind regards,

Cher

Cher I am fairly certain vet checked his urine and his mouth was examined The baby food is good idea. I have rx renal canned food he liked before-he's not picky! But he won't touch it now! I'm really puzzled. I wish he could tell me what hurts!

Hi again,

Typically, cats don't like the Rx renal canned food, so I'm surprised he did, in the past; I'm sorry won't touch it now. Try pouring some tuna water from canned tuna or clam juice over the food and also, warm it up very slightly (a few seconds in the microwave on a low setting) and that might help the aroma attract him. Always check with your finger for hot spots after stirring, with food from the microwave.

There are several companies that make Rx renal foods, so try to find one she likes better.

I'm glad you are pretty certain the vet checked his urine and his mouth was examined.

I know, we wish they could talk and tell us where they hurt, but for now, we have to base our conclusions on testing and just how they act.

I hope Hunter starts eating on his own, soon. You an always dropper feed him watered down Rx food or baby food to get something into him. Just go in from the side of the mouth and squeeze in a little at a time. You can give 2 droppers every 2 hours and make sure he's drinking more, too. Getting a cat drinking fountain is a good idea, as cats love to drink from a moving water source.

Please take a moment to rate my answer positively, as that's the only way I get recognized by the site for my assistance. Thanks so much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist