Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is about six or seven years old.For the last to days

Customer Question
she has been sneezing a...
My cat is about six or seven years old.For the last to days she has been sneezing a lot. We just moved the boxes from storage in. What soul
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lighting.she is so sweet.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lighting.she?
Customer: I can't take her in to a Doctor. Her ears is itching I have no car and no money to take her in..
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
1/3/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Lightning's sneezing is usually due to feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) infection. Less commonly in adults the bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma are present as sole infecting agents or arise concomitantly with FHV-1. Thankfully, the great majority of cats remiss unaided from these infections within 1-3 weeks. I rarely treat with antibiotics because of that fact. I will administer supplemental fluids by needle in the rare instances in which cats lose their appetite and risk dehydrating. I would simply monitor Lightning at this time. If you didn't see an appreciable improvement in her within 10 days of the onset of her sneezing, a vet might prescribe doxycyline - the antibiotic of choice when addressing those bacteria. FHV-1 doesn't respond to antibiotics but should go into remission without treatment.

It's unclear to me why her ears are pruritic (itchy). Ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites, atopy (allergies to environmental allergens), and food intolerance are consideration when ears become pruritic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian