Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a cat three years old you will let you pet her a

Customer Question

I have a cat three years old you will let you pet her a liitle bit and then for no reason she will bite your hand Do you have any suggestions how to stop this behaviout
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Peaches
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peaches?
Customer: Not that i can think of she is not a cuddly cat but she will rub up against you but when you try tp pet het she will bite your hand
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

Hello and happy new year!

I am sorry you are having trouble with Peaches.

This is NOT a mean or aggressive cat. She just becomes overstimulated.

The trick is to watch her body language and stop petting the instant you see her tail swish or her ears go back.

http://www.purina.com/cat/body-language/understandbodylanguage.aspx

I had a similar problem with one of mine.

I put a stop to it by teaching him he will NEVER get my attention if he uses his teeth or claws. He can only get petting when he approaches me calmly and quietly.

When she rubs up against you, don't reach out to pet her right away. Give her a few minutes to get calm..then scratch her back or touch her under her chin.When a cat sees a hand hover over their head it is instinct to bite. So, very slowly extend you hand.lrrt her smell it, then pet under her chin.

Any time she tries to bite use a pillow to gently push her back BUT anytime she acts nice give an immediate food treat so she sees "good" behavior is instantly rewarded.

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sounds like good advice and I will give it a try
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Please keep in touch and let me know how things are going.

You may reply anytime for the one time charge.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you