PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Cats ears have become sensitive and one lays flatter than

Customer Question

The cat's ear is sensitive and one ear lays flatter than the other. It doesnt want to be pet near that ear. She is 16, sleeps all the time but sleeps even more now.

It is moving a tad slower too. She still purrs when petted but she is not uncomfortable.

Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video showing how she's holding the ear?

Has this ear been examined by a vet yet?

Any head shaking or scratching of the ear?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No scratching but occasionally shakes head. Not gone to the vet, today is the second day. She may be a tad better.

Its my mothers cat so she is not with me.

Most often when we see symptoms like these there is an ear infection present. Ear canals on cats are shaped like L's. We can see the top 50% of the canal before the bend. If you look into the ear canal you may be able to see some cream-color to black colored discharge in the canal. If not, the infection may be present in the lower half of the ear canal and visible only with a special took called an otoscope which vets routinely use to check ears on pets.

I would urge you to have her examined and treated if this persists. Most ear infections will not resolve on their own. Your vet will need to take a sample of the exudate in the ears and determine if bacteria, yeast or both are present in the canal and then determine what medication needs to be applied. Typically this is a medication placed directly into the ear 1-2x a day for 10-14 days.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?