Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

What is the cost to get advice from you? we have several

what is the cost to get advice from you? we have several feral cats we take care of and they are getting a black lips on there lips and
nose looks like they have spread from. one cat to another.
We took them to the vet but never got a good answer. No name
can humans get it etc.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Can you please post a pic of the black lips?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not know how to send pictures sorry. The back on there lips start as a small black spot on there lips and
keeps growing until it covers all there lips.

Can you try the paper clip icon to post a pic?

Are they eating normally?

Do they have shots?

Any sneezing or mucus discharge?

Hi Bridgette,

Your kitties may have Calicivirus. It is quite contagious between cats.

Feline calicivirus infection is a common respiratory disease in cats. The virus attacks the respiratory tract -- lungs and nasal passages -- the mouth, with ulceration of the tongue, the intestines, and the musculoskeletal system. It is highly communicable in unvaccinated cats, and is commonly seen in multicat facilities, shelters, and breeding catteries.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/feline-calicivirus-infection/4132

Since it's viral it does not respond to antibiotics so we treat it with lysine and supportive care.

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

Add 500 mg of l-lysine to the community water.

It is imperative to prevent dehydration.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and let them lap it up.

Their mouths may be painful so feed odorous canned food or baby food with no onion power They can also have tuna or salmon.Warm the food to make it easier to smell

If they are congested run a hot shower and make a steam room in your bathroom ..take them in for ten minute intervals.

Please let me know how they are doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Terri,
Thank you for all of your information. Can getting shots for cats that has not gotten this virus yet. Keep
them from getting this?

Yes, absolutely!

The shot is called FVRCP you can even buy it online or at pet stores and give it yourself. It is given SubQ in the skin of the scruff as early as 8 weeks of age.

Thanks so much for your rating and generous bonus.

There is NO further charge so please feel free to reply anytime.

Have a very merry Christmas and happy, healthy new year.