Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Please help! My cat has this terrible habit of peeing on

Customer Question
soft, squishy surfaces. Usually beds...
Please help! My cat has this terrible habit of peeing on soft, squishy surfaces. Usually beds, blankets, pillows, etc. he still uses his litter box! I've tried sprays and treats and everything! He still does it! I'm at my wits end.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat
11/7/2016
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Jordan.

This is a frustrating problem I know, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

The first thing to do is to have Fat Tony checked over by your vet regarding this problem, you should do so in case there is some medical problem or other at the root of his behaviour. While this may be unlikely this is your logical starting point as you would not want to miss medical causes. If he gets a clean bill of health at your vet then logically it must be a behavioural problem, truthfully this can be a difficult issue to resolve or even to suggest why it has actually suddenly started, though often it is a territorial issue of some kind.

Below are the sum total of the ideas which I have given to my clients as a practice handout over the years where their cats have behaved like your one is doing some of these solutions have worked well. I know you may have tried some of these already but I will list everything for the sake of completeness.

1. When you clean up after where your cat has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to Fat Tony it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to him then he may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

2. Best advice is to keep the litter trays well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason he acts as he does. Having an additional litter tray in another part of the house would be a good idea as well.

3. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden centre instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring him back into his litter tray. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

4. This could be your best idea : Some cats start to be dirty in the house in response to some anxiety, another cat in the house or neighbourhood etc. They may just have seen another cat through the window or smelled them under the front door. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. Here is a link so you can read more about Feliway : LINK

5. Some cats respond to low level tranquillisers such as Amitriptyline or Prozac where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though.

6. I hope I have given you a few ideas, however I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The hard thing is the only thing I haven't tried is the tranquilizer. He's already a low key cat. And he finds new surfaces to pee on all the time. No matter what I spray or wash them with it doesn't help.He does drink a lot of water tho for a cat. He seems to pee a lot.

Where all else has failed I have known Amitriptyline in particular to greatly help, and only minimal doses are used so this is something you may consider, this is a prescription drug though so you will have to run this past your vet. It would also be an idea to have your vet check out his excess drinking as this can be caused by things such as diabetes or kidney disease. A thorough clinical examination plus a minor blood test can help rule out these and other conditions.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Fat Tony is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his behavioural problems ...

Please get back to me if I can advise you further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.