Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

5 year old cat. Very people shy, typically hangs out under

Customer Question

5 year old cat. Very people shy, typically hangs out under couch until the kids go to bed. We got her 2.5 months ago when she came from my Mom's house (just the cat and my Mom). She has steadily lost weight since she's lived here. We attributed it to better quality food and not being overfed by my Mom. She continued to eat and drink, and use the litterbox. Yesterday (we were gone overnight Saturday night) she stopped eating and drinking, walks in circles, collapses. I can get her to drink water through a syringe, but she's not interested in any sort of food (wet or dry).
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No. And no toxins were out.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pandora.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pandora?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry Pandora is not feeling well. She may have a middle ear infection causing vestibular syndrome.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

The feeling is similar to human motion sickness where we feel disoriented.

You can give her 13.5 mg of dramamine to relieve the symptoms

http://www.dramamine.com/

30 minutes later offer her baby food chicken with no onion powder. Warm it to bring out the aroma.

You can also drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and let her lap it up for hydration.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri