Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat keeps oozing clear liquid from her stomach and I

Customer Question

My cat keeps oozing clear liquid from her stomach and I don't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Una is a little over a year old. She was an outdoor only before we got her as a kitten but she is now indoor only.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Una?
Customer: I have no idea. We tried changing her food yesterday with the idea that it may be a food allergy. However, I really don't know for certain if it is a food allergy. Una is a healthy weight and her digestion is good but she keeps grooming her stomach area and is oozing this clear liquid all over the place, sometimes dripping on the floor.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I have just a few questions for you about Una, so I can assist you in the best way.

Is Una spayed?

When you say she's oozing clear liquid from her stomach, do you mean her stomach, itself, or she has a discharge from her anus, coming from her intestinal system/stomach?

You mentioned that she's excessively grooming her stomach area, so you mean the actual belly area, in front of her hind legs, correct?

Does the discharge have an odor at all?

Is it completely clear or have any brownish or pinkish tinge?

What food was she eating and what did you change her to (brand and dry or canned)?

When you touch this area of her stomach, does it seem to hurt her?

Is she eating, drinking, eliminating and playing as usual?

Do you have any other pets?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a little time to send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I was hoping to get some additional information from you, but didn't want you to go too long without an answer.

If this clear fluid is coming out of Una's stomach, she may have a small cut or abscess there, that is draining and you weren't aware of it. If the color of the fluid is clear and does not have a foul smell, that's good, as a foul smell would indicated infection; however, this is not something that can be remedied at home, so Una will need to be seen in person by the vet, as soon as possible. In fact, if you have an ER vet nearby, bringing her there now, would be a good idea, so you can get a diagnosis and treatment for her.

If she is not spayed, and this fluid is coming out of her stomach and/or vulvar area, she could have a serious uterine infection called pyometra and needs immediate veterinary attention.

I hope you are able to have her seen by the vet as soon as possible, and all will be well with your Una!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I see that you haven't yet viewed my answer. I wanted to make sure it got through to you, so I'm sending it a second time, below.

Also, how is Una doing today? Has she seen a vet? Please let me know, as I am concerned for her. Thanks!

--------------------------------

Hello again,

Warmest regards,

Cher